http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-xm6ihZR5Pt4/TasJa8VK3rI/AAAAAAAAB9c/pd8NPuxjq08/s1600/Liberate-your-Art-B

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Book Review II

Here's book number two of the year 2011.

The Lost City of Z by David Grann.

I don't often read about anywhere in Brazil or Africa or places like that, but this one looked very interesting and I decided to break outside of my mold.

This was the story that resulted from a long, lost search in the jungles of the Amazon by a man named Fawcett who was obssessed with the search for El Dorado or, what he called, The Lost City of Z.

It was a pretty sad story due to the fact that John Fawcett was so consumed with beating everyone else to finding this lost city to prove that he was right that he drove his family into bankruptcy, neglected his wife and children and even ended up presumably leading his oldest son and his son's best friend to their death.

David Grann is a journalist who began researching this story and ended up following the same quest himself almost 100 years after Fawcett. It was interesting the way he flashed around between Fawcett's story, other adventurers stories and his own.

It was a true story which made it even better and I always love when they throw some actual pictures in the center so while you're reading, you can flip to the middle of the book and see what the faces and places looked like so you can see it better in your mind. Oh, by the way - the author actually goes in search of finding what happend to John Fawcett who disappeared with his party back at the turn of the century -- but you'll have to read to find out what Mr Grann ended up finding!

So now - I'm anxiously trying to mentally choose what book I should pick from my "new book" pile once I get home! I actually have so many choices! We'll see where I go next!

1 comment:

Karl said...

I'm so far behind on my reading right now (reading your blog that is . . .)

Reading 'a walk in the woods' right now (Bryson book you left for me) and enjoying every page!