http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-xm6ihZR5Pt4/TasJa8VK3rI/AAAAAAAAB9c/pd8NPuxjq08/s1600/Liberate-your-Art-B

Monday, December 20, 2010

A Mystic Story - And A Sad Story

I'm on my last trip before the new year (God willing), and I'm back in Waterbury, CT where I was before Budapest. I flew into NY last night (Sunday) and then drove up to Waterbury, CT to work. I have to tell you that southern Conneticut is, and I apologize to those of you reading who are from southern Conneticut, but southern CT is pretty much an armpit.... Its kind of like downtown Detroit, only more rural. I worked all morning at St Marys in Waterbury and then I have to drive about 40 minutes over to St Raphaels in New Haven. Yes, most of the middle of CT is composed of St's hospitals. St Marys was talking about GPOs in CT (Group Purchasing groups) and said that the whole Obama healthcare deal is forcing the lower half of Conneticut to all combine with the Yale hospital group and the whole top half to combine with another large hospital system and all the middles are merging together and all the Saints are marching in.... Ok - its kind of funny if you're here working with them.... :(

Heres a quick sick story...I pulled up to St Raphaels and I was only planning on being in the facility for about 20 minutes so I parked outside the building by metered parking. My friend, Melissa, called me at 2:13 and I then got out of the car and put 3 quarters in the meter which got me 30 minutes, I started walking away and rethought so I went back and put one more quarter in putting me up to 45 minutes. I then went into the facility and, since Mel was telling me a pretty major story, sat down for a little while and talked to her, then I went down and met with the CS manager and then immediately walked right back out to the car where, what to my wondering eyes appeared -- a ticket! UGH! Ok - I looked at the clock as I came back out and the the time on my phone was 3:03. I completely do not understand this -- maybe someone out there can help me. If I put 4 quarters and the meter said I had 45 mintues, and if I walked away from the meter at 2:15ish and got back to my car at 3:03 -- how did I get a ticket?? That stinkin meter had JUST expired and I was left with a ticket. And here's the sucky thing when I travel - I can't ever appear for court if something is unfair.... so - I'm contemplating writing a letter expounding the beauties of New Haven and the kindness of its people and see if they'll let me off for missing my meter by like 2 minutes....

Since I was over by the water, I had been wanting to visit Mystic and so I decided that today was the day I was going to buzz over there. Indeed I did and I LOVED it there! In case you need a memory boost on the significance of Mystic -- think back to early Julia Roberts movies, a little film called "Mystic Pizza". I roamed around the streets of Mystic as the sun set over the water and I fell in love with it. The houses were just all perfectly quaint and with these awsesome Christmas lights - the candles in the windows, etc. I went around to a few of the shops and was blown away by the prices... ahhh. Then, I decided that I had to eat in Mystic and as much as I wanted to go into this really pretty Oyster House restaurant that was right on the water, I figured that I must eat at Mystic Pizza. I thought that I would regret it if I didn't, so I did. I had a seafood pizza that was actually pretty good. The crust was really good, but there was a something about it that seemed like it might have been a premade crust, but I'm not sure. It was good though.

That was my happy, mystic story.

Here's my sad story.

I didn't take a picture because it made me so sad, but the hotel I'm staying at in downtown Waterbury (hoooo - downtown Waterbury... :)) has this little pond in front of the hotel. Its this little itty bitty water pond that isn't very wide and doesn't look very deep. I noticed when I pulled in last night that it was frozen and I was thinking that it looked like a little coy pond. I parked my car in the garage and then walked up to the hotel, passing the pond. As I passed, I looked at the ice and I did a double take. THE COY WERE STILL IN THE POND! I know they were real - I can tell. I know that they were frozen, they ARE NOT moving. They literally froze in the water. It is so cruel and I am not one of those animal freaky people, but that made me so sad because its so cruel. Those poor little coy couldn't get out, they just slowly swam around getting sleepier and sleepier until all of a sudden, they stopped moving. I'm very very tempted to write a letter. In fact - its on my "write a letter" list. If you are going to be responsible Coy owners - take your coys out before winter comes. Thats my new motto -- Take your coys out before winter comes!



No comments: