http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-xm6ihZR5Pt4/TasJa8VK3rI/AAAAAAAAB9c/pd8NPuxjq08/s1600/Liberate-your-Art-B

Thursday, February 16, 2012

Sobering

It's a sobering thing to be walking down the hall and to come to an open metal door that has a security guard holding it with a impass of people gathered on either side... And then you feel a gust of freezer air and watch as a flat metal gurney is pushed in with a solid black bag... And you feel a little rush of sobering immortality.

And that's where I work everyday - in the basement of hospitals in places that dont have windows or cushiony chairs or cups of jello. I see places where the waste and excrement of surgeries are and the body bags go. It makes you remember that we're all on our way to that freezer - but it makes you appreciate that for now, I can walk up the parking garage staircase (that I saw someone peeing in on the way in...:( ) and out into the feburary sun!

3 comments:

Karl said...

sounds like you need some bright Oregon sunshine to cheer you up little sister! Too bad it's probably going to rain all next week, but at least you'll get to see my bright smiling face. :)

Alison B said...

That and the body bags and freezers of Portland's finest healthcare system.... :)! I'll try to bring some Chicago sun with me!

Pat said...

Hahahahaha! Oh. You weren't trying to be funny, Karl? You know, with the "bright smiling face" line and all? Ooookaaaay. Now . . . were I coming, it would definitely be bright and smiling, I'm sure. One of these days, Karl. One of these days . . . .