http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-xm6ihZR5Pt4/TasJa8VK3rI/AAAAAAAAB9c/pd8NPuxjq08/s1600/Liberate-your-Art-B

Thursday, May 7, 2015

My Dad

The other night I was downstairs, near my dad's desk, putting away some of my winter stuff.  On the way back upstairs as I passed his desk, I happened to glance over and something caught my eye.  There were some notecards that maybe looked familiar, so I went over to actually look at them and this is what I found.


And in that moment I was incredibly overwhelmed by how awesome my dad was!  He wasn't perfect, he didn't become some god of a man that everyone would think, what would Al do?  But he was trying!  He memorized scripture that would feed into his life and control him in his responses to everything that surrounded him in his everyday life.  "A soft answers turns away wrath", "he who is slow to wrath is of great understanding", "a merry heart doeth good like a medicine", " the fear of the lord is the beginning of wisdom"... Just some of the verses that he had in his cards and verses that I think did affect his life and change him little by little.

Let's just say that when he died, I don't know of anyone who didn't like him and most people I know would even say that they respected him.  Did he ever fail us, yes.  Did he always have the right answer or the best response, no.  But I do remember at the end, he did look to God and found his comfort there.

Thanks to my dad for being an example and a dad who tried, even though he often failed, to do what he thought was the right and the God thing.  It's funny how much hindsight is 20/20 and you don't realize how amazing someone is until they're gone!  








No comments: