http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-xm6ihZR5Pt4/TasJa8VK3rI/AAAAAAAAB9c/pd8NPuxjq08/s1600/Liberate-your-Art-B

Sunday, February 21, 2010

Mmmm - Danish....



Its a double whammy.... Its mom's birthday AND its Sunday!

While Auntie Clarece is in St Thomas she always goes to this church, its St Thomas Reformed Church. Its a pretty cute looking church and it was neat to go and see tons of different kinds of people intermingling. As we drove to church, we saw about a hundred different churches with black people making their way through the open doors in their best finery and prettiest hats. But when we got to this church, there were white people, asians, blacks - it was pretty mixed and everyone was just happy to be together. Its always neat to see that kind of diversity and to see everyone "co-existing".

So - it was the church's birthday celebration in the fact that they were celebrating their 350th year. Also, they were celebrating "Transfer Day" which is the day when the island was officially handed over from the Danish (saying that word always makes me hungry) to the U.S. The U.S. bought St Thomas from the Danish (mmm) in 1917 for 25 million dollars. So, St Thomas Reformed church was doing this celebration where they copied the whole service. They did the songs and all and the pr even preached the message that was preached on that day in 1917. It was from I Kings where David handed the throne over to Solomon. It was interesting historically speaking, but it was not a really great sermon as far as scripture and the gospel and all. I must admit, it really bordered on boring. But that aside, it was cool as they had the big pipe organ above the church in the back and the choir sang from the back loft. There were the hurricane shutters all around the room that opened up to let the air through and there were these slowly turning ceiling fans. The pews were amazingly UNcomfortable, the better to keep us awake, and the pr preached from a high lectern which was draped with the Danish (mmm) flag.

After the sermon we left our car in the rather overcrowded church parking lot that there was no way we were going to get out of, and we walked down the little street to where all the shopping was. Mom and Aunt June and Aunt Clarece were intent on shopping and I was looking longingly at the sun that was finally choosing to shine its bright light out from behind some interspersed rain clouds. There were lace shops and nine hundred million jewelery shops and t-shirt shops and every shop you could imagine. So now, after sitting and hearing about the Danish (mmm) all morning on an empty stomach, I was being tormented by the slow, death walk of shopping.

Don't get me wrong, I love a good shop and there are times that I'm intent on finding some great things, but, as this was the beginning of my week long, do-nothing, vacation, and as it had been raining almost the whole time so far, all I wanted to do was eat and get to the beach!

The last shop we meandered by before mom choosing her birthday restaurant, was one that Auntie Clarece said Uncle Si always insisted on going in. It was an nautical antique store and it actually looked quite intriguing to me, but we bustled past it and wound up looking at menus. We finally decided on a restaurant but actually had about 10 minutes until we could be seated, so I excused myself and headed back to the Antique store.

So cool! It had flags from old old ships and coins and bottles and all kinds of stuff. And then - I found it -- my thing -- a case filled with jewelery that was made from salvaged china. These pendants were so cool and I fell in love. I ended up buying one but it was struggle choosing between two of them. I had warned them that I would probably end up coming back. Sure enough, as I was eating, it hit me - that feeling that I get when I go somewhere and I see something that I fall in love with but end up thinking that I shouldn't spend the money on it and then I go home and I pine for that thing and think "Stupid!" So - I quickly figured in my head that I should just go back and spend the money and get the second piece as well. YEA! They were actually surprised when I walked back in, but I told them I had given them fair warning :)

We got back to the condo and I ran for my swimsuit and the beach -- unfortunately, yet another hard rain came in. All the others had gone back to their rooms for naps, so I decided it was time for some alone time. I love all three of those ladies - but they can TALK! Its non-stop and its so tiring and I just needed a break already. I grabbed my keys and ended up just driving around in the rain exploring.

I drove up on a road that led to a beach called Magan's Bay (we'll go there later). Driving in St Thomas is VERY interesting -- not only the left hand thing, but the roads are very very narrow and they all seem to run right in conjunction with a cliff. But, I LOVE the windy, zippy roads that go straight up at almost 90 degree angles. My little Toyota actually has pretty good pick up and I can get up quickly (Auntie C's Kia just chokes every time it tries to go up). So, I'm going up this windy, narrow road and I come to this crest and there is the most amazing view of the ocean and the islands and I'm SO mad because there is absolutely nowhere to stop and just take in the view! AH!

By the time I started back, it was once again pouring rain. I don't know exactly what we're going to do for the evening, but I think I'm going to go and try to find a danish.... MMM - danish....
Auntie Clarece's cat-friends who always hang outside her door because she feeds them.... :)

No comments: