http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-xm6ihZR5Pt4/TasJa8VK3rI/AAAAAAAAB9c/pd8NPuxjq08/s1600/Liberate-your-Art-B

Friday, August 6, 2010

I've Got To Find A Lighter Product To Sell

Wednesday I was downtown again to work with Northwestern. I was trying to help finish up the installation of some new sink devices and some new product so I was in for a few hours.

There are three sites at Northwestern - Feinberg, Prentiss (the Women's Hospital) and Olson. These sites are all pretty far apart but are all connected through walkways and tunnels.

When we had shipped in all the new product, it had all gone to the main site which is Feinberg. So, when I got to the other sites I had discovered that they didn't have the product they needed. I could have done two things -- first, told someone "we need product" and then sat and waited for about a million years.... OR .... just do it myself. For those who know me, I always chose to do things the hard way that will always give me much pain. Its just the only way to go.

So, I loaded up a cart with as much product as I could and set off pushing/pulling. Mind you, this product I shipped was boxed 2 to a carton. These "2s" were 2.5 gallons of detergent - each. Each of these 2.5s weigh 22 lbs so a case of two weighs in the neighborhood of 44 lbs. On this cart, I had a total of 4 actual cases and two separate containers. You do the math on that one...

I'm pushing this cart across the linolieum floor and I'm thinking "this is heavy - I'm stupid"... Then I get to the section that starts carpeting and I'm thinking "dear Lord - this is heavy, why am I doing this?" and then I get to the section thats carpeted and has an incline upwards to the second buidling and I have my suit on and I'm sweating bullets and my hair is wet and I feel like a freak and I'm thinking "God help me! I have GOT to find a light product to sell." and then I spent time just imaging what I could be selling.... Maybe - surgical scissors - theres an option but those people always carry big catalogs with and so you heap a bunch of those together and you've got a big heavy bag. Or maybe - the rings that hold the curtains up in the exams rooms! Ah! But - if they asked you to bring those in and you had like 50 exam rooms, that might get kind of heavy. OH! Got it! Medical air! Air is weightless and there can't be catalogs for that because, I mean, really, what are you going to see?!

I finally made it to the Olson Pavilion and then I called someone to just come get the product from front reception while I caught my breath and gowned up to go back. It kind of ruined my hair for the rest of the day...


I forgot to include this the other day. So - remember when Chicago did those cows that everyone afterwards copied from New York to Seattle? They've tried something else every year and never hit it either and this year is no exception.... They're doing refrigerators! Unbelievable - its supposed to be like recycling AND art. I don't think it made it either way.

This is one of the best burger places ever... Its kind of like In and Out if you've even been there - just more chichi. If you're ever at Northwestern, turn onto Huron and head on down to Michigan and its tucked into a building right on the way - its called M Burger. Best burgers AND you have to try a shake! But, I will tell you this - take a look at the menu. Like In and Out, they keep it pretty simple so there's not a whole lot to chose from. But still, every time you're in line, there are about 10 people in front of you who take about 15 minutes to order. Seriously! WHY! I mean, its not like they have too much to chose from - it kind of goes single or double, cheese or no cheese - you're done! Ah well, its worth it!

No comments: