http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-xm6ihZR5Pt4/TasJa8VK3rI/AAAAAAAAB9c/pd8NPuxjq08/s1600/Liberate-your-Art-B

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Beouf and Behns

Yesterday, Monday, mom came home after about 2 months down in South Carolina helping Aunt June through chemo and the other hardships of bladder cancer.

Wednesday through Sunday of last week, I had inspired myself to do a liquid fast (juices, protein drinks, etc) due to the fact that I've been having some issues with feeling bloated and just a bunch of other nasty things (is this "old" age???). I really felt the need to "purge" it all out. The good news is, I think I did and I really wasn't hungry or anything else - in fact, I felt pretty inspired and great. My running improved almost 100%, I think my work improved 100% and I had 100% improved life view as well. I found that only one time I felt really hungry and I managed through it quite fine.

But, the one side effect was that by Sunday, I was starting to just feel the need to eat, not for eating sake, but just for wonderful food sake. There's so much yummy stuff out there and I missed it all! So - I had decided to do a welcome back mom, happy belated birthday dinner for her and have the fam over. What was on the menu, well - just about every delicious thing that has inspired my stomach over the past year. Ok, at least three of those things.

Menu -
*Julia's Beouf Bourgonnaise
*Rosemary Blue Potatos
*Steamed Green Beans (some of the floppy and wet for Pat's pleasure as thats the way she prefers them :))
*Bannana Cake

So - I just had to share the delicious adventure of a once cow becoming the most delightful French stew ever....

Parents, content may be inappropriate for children under 12 so please proceed with caution.....

We start with the graphic disassmbled cow, laying next to it, the pieces of pig which were then both sauteed up nicely in a the bacon fat until all sides had a wonderful golden brown to them.... Notice my obedient puppy sitting nicely in the background just longingly looking at all that meat. After about 10 steps, the culmination of beef, bacon and onions makes its way into a casserole dish along with the famous Julia appertif of red wine and settles in for a long bubble in a highly heated oven. Next, while the casserole is setttled in for a long, glorifying melding of flavors, the topping is prepared. Small pearl onions are skinned and then set to sautee in butter and olive oil, carefully avoiding breaking their skin. Once again, the red wine is poured into their little bed and on top is placed a little cheesecloth pouch of fresh parsley, bay leaves and thyme. A cover is then placed over this and this little dish is set on a low simmer for about 50 mintues. Once all of the wine is absorbed into the onions, they turn out to these lovely little delights. The other topping is the mushrooms which are sauteed in butter and olive oil as well - the trick of the sauteed onions is to sautee them until they're tender - but without allowing them to "weep" or start to give off a lot of juice. They turned out perfectly this time. Once the stew is done slowly simmering and the onions and mushrooms are done, the gravy is removed from the stew, skimmed of fat and then everything is placed back into a casserole dish and covered with the gravy. The wonderful thing about this dish is that is can be completely prepared the day before and then heated up the next day with the extra benefit that all the flavors have come together even more wonderfully than the day they were made! It turned out HEAVENLY! I was very pleased with it this time - I think every time I make this dish, it just gets better. Here all the family is gathered together. Uncle Raine made her awesome salad with the apple cider vinegar and bacon and all. We celebrated mom's birthday with my newest recipe - its a homemade bannana cake that is super easy but amazing! There were even those who had two pieces - I think the cream cheese frosting makes the cake! Since we didn't have any birthday candles for the cake - mom just got one big candle on the side. It worked. As Julia says -- "Bon appetite!"

2 comments:

Kim said...

Two things:

Fast idea is a great one!

The meal for your mom looks AMAZING! Good job!

Pat said...

It was delicious!! Another culinary (sp?) triumph, Alison.