http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-xm6ihZR5Pt4/TasJa8VK3rI/AAAAAAAAB9c/pd8NPuxjq08/s1600/Liberate-your-Art-B

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Book Review #4 - As Far As My Feet Will Carry Me


I just finished reading another book. I had gone on-line to find a picture of the Norwegian guy who escaped occupied Norway and I came upon this book and thought it sounded interesting. I was actually just googling the book to find a picture and discovered that this has also been made into a movie as of 2001 -- I believe its a German movie or some foreign film so I'm presuming subtitled.

An awesome book because its an awesome story. Absolutely unbelievable! It was a little quircky to read, though, as there were no chapters. It was just one long story and then in between events, they would have a few astericks under the paragraph and then just start another event. It was hard to find a good stopping place as you didn't have that "I'll just put it down once I finish this chapter" thing going on. I made it through all the same.

The story follows a German prisoner of war who was taken into captivity by the Soviets. He was taken from his home in Munish into Siberia to almost the very opposite edge. Just the journey to get there originally was amazing. They ended up bringing tons of the prisoners to work in lead mines and from there he escaped. The story does follow him as he served time for several years in the mines before he actually decided to escape.

It took him 3 years to get across Siberia and then he entered in Tukey and asked for assylum and they ended up shipping him back home to Germany.

Seriously - a nail biting story that will definitely keep you reading!

1 comment:

Kim said...

Need to borrow that one too!