http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-xm6ihZR5Pt4/TasJa8VK3rI/AAAAAAAAB9c/pd8NPuxjq08/s1600/Liberate-your-Art-B

Monday, June 20, 2011

And - We're Down South....

Well, I finally got into Birmingham around 6:30 pm tonight. I was supposed to be here around 4ish - but 6:30 isn't too bad. Just meant more time I had to sit in the Red Carpet Club at O'hare. Which - go figure - here's a funny thing. I'm just out of the security area and I'm walking to the Club and standing right across from the Club was this guy who goes to my sister's church. Too weird! Its always funny when you run into someone that you know at a huge airport.

So. I'm down south. I'm not just down south - I'm in Alabama. Alabama is seriously the quintessential stereotype of all that is southern. The twangs that you hear when you get off the plane. The "yes ma'am"s and "yes sir"s you're given everytime you talk to anyone. The heat and humidity that covers you like a wet blanket at 9 at night. The Chick-Fil-A's at every exit :) (I can take that one! ). The run down buildings and the slow way that people move. Its the south at its best!

I had rented a compact car and I got in to the rental car place and they had me in a Royal Crown Victoria.... I don't think so! That car makes me feel like I'm 90 and I'm out for a Sunday drive. I declined their upgrade and stood waiting for a car that I had reserved to come available and then the guys say "I'm just going to upgrade you and get you in a car for the same price" -- and he hands me the keys to this black 5.0 convertible Mustang. I have to tell you I'm not the biggest Mustang fan - especially the convertible. The seats are kind of low and funky and its really hard to see out the back. On top of that, the car they had me in smelled like some guy had crawled in and aftershaved up with Old Spice or something. I was choking the first 10 miles so I pulled over and grabbed a Sweet Tea (it may be southern, but we actually have it in the midwest now too!) and unlatched the top and took off with the wind in my - well, basically in my bangs. When I went through the Chick Fil A drive through, the guy was just staring at my car and he finally said "that is one BEAUTIFUL car!".... Ha ha - funny. I admit that once I got the top down and pulled back out onto the highway - it was amazing. That engine literally roars and I go past everyone with such ease. It was a little fun...

The sun was setting and it smelled so south as I drove the two hours down to Huntsville. I can't explain what "smelled so south" means except that its this muggy, hot, outdoorsy smell that I've only ever smelled past the Kentucky border. I like the smell and it makes me remember good times. Its pretty non-existent between Birmingham and Huntsville, basically trees and hills and lakes here and there. Its not bad looking country. It was even prettier seeing it in the sunset in the convertible.
I finally got down to the hotel and found it to be this brand new Springhill Suites. It was actually really nice and big. It was packed as well with high school students from all over as it right now the road from NASA and its that time of year when they come for SPACE CAMP! It was pretty crazy with all the kids and their parents and there was this one guy running around trying to organize everyone even though they couldn't all understand him.

So I had to pop this picture in -- seriously -- has anyone out there EVER heard of Dr Wham???? That just sounds so south!
And here's something else that sounds south -- the name "Danny Denny". Its akin to the ever-popular "Jim Bob" or "Sue Ellen". Gotta love the creativity down here!
So I had to share pics of the room I have at this Springhill Suites. Its actually weird - but pretty cool. The shower and the - loo - are separate and they have they sliding frosted glass doors. Theres tons of frosted glass everywhere.
I love this couch - its not completely comfortable but its pretty cool.
Here's the beauty too - I'm right around the corner from Huntsville Hospital where I have to be tomorrow morning. We're adding another department there so - more business - yea!

Well - I've got to figure out some cool place to go tomorrow evening so I can drive around some more in my black Mustang convertible - with the top down!

No comments: