http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-xm6ihZR5Pt4/TasJa8VK3rI/AAAAAAAAB9c/pd8NPuxjq08/s1600/Liberate-your-Art-B

Friday, July 8, 2011

My Late Night Cuppies

The weather was sunny and beautiful in Cleveland and I had a false sense of security that my flight would take off and land at home on time. But dog gone Baltimore -- they had to go and have weather.... I was fortunate enough to be able to transfer to another flight that left at 7 pm. I had that 2 extra hours to wait but I spent the time reading a new book that I had bought at the airport while waiting for the 7 pm.

It was Mel's birthday (my BFF :)) on Wednesday and so I had thought that I really wanted to do something special for her. I googled cupcakes in Rochester, MN and found a really awesome looking cupcake place. I talked to the owner on the phone and arranged for a dozen cupcakes to be delivered to Mel on her b-day. Melissa called me when they were delivered and as she was tasting them, she described and it was just cruel the way she mm'd and oh'd when I couldn't be there. I did go and look at all the flavors, though, and I was just bursting with ideas and my little hands were itching to get home and try some new cupcake recipes.

So, my flight took off from Cleveland at 7 pm, we landed at 7:30 pm and then had to sit around and wait as the pilot at our gate couldn't figure out how to reverse his plane and so we had to wait for him to get a quick tutorial before we could slip into the newly vacated gate. I finally got off the plane around 8ish and couldn't wait to dash off home and stop at the store to pick up all my cuppy supplies. This landed me at home around 9:15 or so. Its now past midnight and I finished up the cupcakes about 15 minutes ago.

I was wrestling with what recipe to try once I got home. I knew time would probably only allow me one recipe tonight so I wanted to choose wisely.

I decided on a mint cupcake that I had been creating in my head.

I'm not much of a dark chocolate fan, but mint and dark chocolate seem to go together so I hodge-podged a few recipes together and came up with these.

Then I decided that I wanted to do a chocolate ganache on the top - but not just any chocolate ganache! I use semi sweet chocolate chips and cream and then added just a hint of mint.

But that wasn't the end of the mint - I mixed up a buttercream frosting that was minty as well and then threw in a few drops of good old green dye.
Put the buttercream on top of the ganache on top of the cupcakes....
Voila!
I'm going to do more tomorrow as I have ganache left. The cake I wouldn't change at all - it was amazing and moist. The buttercream was good and mom really liked it, but I think that what I didn't like about it was that I had put some vanilla in as well as the mint. Tomorrow I'm doing straight mint, no vanilla. I think that that really affects the taste.

Overall - it was a delicious, delectable, minty sensation :)

Tomorrow - well, I'll surprise you with what I'm concocting tomorrow!

2 comments:

Karl said...

whoah! - who gets to eat these? Me want!

Pat said...

Me Got!