http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-xm6ihZR5Pt4/TasJa8VK3rI/AAAAAAAAB9c/pd8NPuxjq08/s1600/Liberate-your-Art-B

Saturday, July 30, 2011

Where In The World Is Alison Now?!


I was pretty dog gone good at my Philosophy and Logic class in college.  In fact, I quite excelled where others may have failed.

In fact, lets play a little game and see how good you are at syllogisms.  That means that we're going to use our reason and come to a conclusion from a general to a particular statement.

We start with
Premise 1:  Havana Blue is a restaurant on St Thomas in the Virgin Islands
Premise 2:  Alison is now sitting in Havana Blue

And this leads to our -
Conclusion:  Alison is in St Thomas in the Virgin Islands

YAY!  If you were able to come to that conclusion without the aid of this answer key -- you are as smart as I am!!!!  (thats not saying a lot...)  This actually may not be a syllogism as much as an inductive argument - but I'm not going to split hairs.  You can look it up and decide for yourself.  But since its my blog and my conclusion - I'm calling this a syllogism because it makes me sound ingenius - or as I like to call it - not blonde.

Yes - Alison is in St Thomas, US Virgin Islands.  Tomorrow, Alison will be taking a ferry to Tortola which is in the British Virgin Islands.  There, I'll be boarding a little sailboat with about 6 other women and heading out to tool around the Virgin Islands for 7 days - NO CELL PHONE, NO TEXTING, EEEEEEKKKKKK!!!! NO INTERNET!!!!!!  I'm already going into early withdrawals...!

I did download this wonderful new app on my mac called MarsEdit which allows me to actually blog and then save drafts and, when I'm able to connect to internet, quickly and easily download my blogs.  So - you may not get my blogs on a daily basis, but you'll get my daily basis!

So, the picture I had above is the Havana Blue restaurant which is in the Frenchman's Reef Marriott Hotel on St Thomas.

Pat took me to the airport at like 6 this morning and then I hopped a plane to Charlotte and connected to another plane to St Thomas...

Saying goodbye to the old mainland, hum-drum U.S.A....
And HELLO to beautiful St Thomas, a territory of the U.S., but a vacation territory!!!!

Landing on St Thomas - I LOVE the feeling of landing here!  I love the way that they always seem to act surprised when we land by saying "well, it looks like we'll be deplaning via stairs onto the runway so please be careful!"  as if we could deplane any other way when the terminal is one level, about 10 feet below the door of the plane -- AND -- there are about 90 other planes on the tarmac that are all DEBOARDING WITH STAIRS.  Its no surprise!  Stop acting it!

So, I'm staying at my good old Marriott home before I head over to Tortola tomorrow.  I'm trying to decompress from some pretty crappy weeks of a lot of different things - especially work.  I checked in and then headed over to the Havana Blue restaurant where I asked to be seated by the rail that looks out right over the beach and then I promptly ordered a mango mojito!  Amazing!  I tried to just chill out and get the nasty off my face because it had been there for a while.  There's something about St Thomas people - they live on this wonderful tropical island but they all act like you're putting them out and they're angry at you.  From the way they talk to you to the way they drive (ok, not at the resorts, but in the normal world they do).  As soon as I got off the plane I got stuck with this taxi driver lady who promptly started yelling at me because I had gotten gum on her car seat because apparently I had put my backpack down in a wad of someone's disgusting chewing gum.   And then she dropped me off at the K Mart to pick up a few essentials that I hadn't packed so as to save my security line time :) and she parked in some remote location that when I came out I couldn't find her and panicked that she had taken off with my suitcase (oh, which my they way, I have this tiny little roller carry on duffle and a backpack - THATS ALL! :)).  I did start making friend with her when she saw I was on the verge of tears and then she started calling me "baby" and all these other cutesy little terms.  I had also bought her some stain remover in KMart for the gum and I think that helped as well.  It all blew over and by the time we got to the Marriott she was chatting with me brightly about the best places to eat on the island and where she likes to go for vacation herself.  We're doing to dinner when I get back next weekend.... not... :)

I digress... I ended up at the Havana Blue with a mango mojito and then, after dinner, in fact, I indulged in black cherry lime daquiri or something like that.  Dinner was all so good and I felt quite rosy just sitting there watching the waves come in.  I survived one of their little intermittent downpours that lasted all of like 5 minutes and blew in the side and drenched me.  Everyone was running around apologizing and trying to pull the canvas curtains closed and I was sitting there smiling saying "I don't care!  I'm on vacation!"  And I am going to do good to that this week if it kills me!  I am going to chill out and stop worrying about what other people think and the things I need to do and stop planning my strategy for getting that big stupid account - so what if I lose it and everyone hates me and the fact that I forgot to send a report or an e-mail.  Everyone can just understand - I'm not superwoman --- sorry, Rachel -- I am NOT superwoman!  At least, I'm trying to loose that stigma... Its a heavy burden to bear... And the uniform is little itchy - and tight...

Enjoy some more shots from the Marriott at Frenchman's Reef...






1 comment:

Karl said...

these pics are beautiful . . . wow.