http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-xm6ihZR5Pt4/TasJa8VK3rI/AAAAAAAAB9c/pd8NPuxjq08/s1600/Liberate-your-Art-B

Friday, March 27, 2015

Monday - The Day That I Missed

Monday!
Ah Monday!
Crazy Monday!
Fun Monday!
Girls Monday!
Shopping Monday!
Monday after the big kids got trundled off to school and we were free,  Rach and I headed back downtown with our pal Anna.

I had three things on my list that I wanted to get or go to - one had been knocked off when I got my Starbucks mugs in earlier the week before.

So Monday we headed to Rahab which is an outreach for women in the "red light" district.  They have some women who have come there and now they work there and make jewelry and some other things and I always love to go and support them when I'm in Bangkok.  I figured I'd get some gifts from there.


After that we got back on the Sky Train to go back to the hotel that we had stayed at because Rach forgot a library book in the kids playroom.   When she picked it up, Anna was sleeping in the little carry thing in front of her and so Rach made some comment to the women at the front desk that the baby forgot her book, not knowing that they would incredulously believe that the baby could actually read the book!:) Americans NEVER lie - and they're NEVER sarcastic!:)

We then walked over to the really nice mall that was nearby and just enjoyed some cool air pharmacy shopping, some clothes shopping :)





and - we didn't have a chance to go The Oriental for tea, but we found a nice place in the mall and had tea!



And then we once again headed to the Sky Train to check the last thing off of my list.  A visit to the Silk Quarter in Bangkok.

There a guy who restarted the silk industry in Thailand after the Second World War, quite an interesting guy who actually disappeared and was never found.  Look him up on line and you'll be impressed.  His name is Jim Thompson and in fact, he did all the silk used in the movie The King and I.

Anyways there's a museum where his house is....


And the you walk down and across the canals ....

And you're in the section where they make the silk...


There are two basic shops and the first time I was here I bought a bunch of silk for drapes that I've never yet used so I felt the need to go and buy more silk that I'll probably never use!  But who can resist if you can buy silk straight off the looms in Bangkok!  And it's relatively cheap too - and beautiful!




Oh and by the way - this is the king of Thailand, you'll see him posted up on pictures everywhere around the city...

We then opted (ok, I did the opting because by this time I was tired of the heat and the walking and the being jostled around) to take a taxi home. 

Things we passed...
Dogs on cars...


Fire stations 

Durian (the stinky fruit you're not allowed to have in hotels here!)

And the tallest building in Bangkok 

And when we got home - we were all very very happy to be there!
















No comments: