http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-xm6ihZR5Pt4/TasJa8VK3rI/AAAAAAAAB9c/pd8NPuxjq08/s1600/Liberate-your-Art-B

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

The Seventh Circle of Hades

As Kim and I sat in the Marquis Theatre on Broadway in Times Square, watching lithe dancers whirling to the smooth tones of Frank Sinatra in the choregraphed movements of Twyla Tharpe, I leaned over and whispered "my brother would be in the seventh circle of hell right now..." But Kim and I surely enjoyed our evening anyways!
I'm in New York for a sterilization conference but we're only meeting 8 - noon on Wednesday and Thursday. So, I brought Kim along who had never been to NYC so I could take in a few of my favorite things without being by myself.
After the conference this morning, I ended up getting back to the hotel around 1 or 1:30 and so we went out to walk around. We stopped for cupcakes at a bakery called Crumbs and then we went back to the fashion district to pick out a bunch of material for Kim as she endeavours a new business scheme of making purses -- I expect her to be the next Kate Spade/Vera Bradley so I'm investing in the start up.... Someday we'll be living off embroidered bags in the Caribbean! Or maybe I'll just end up with a couple cool bags... Who knows.
















We caught an early meal at this place in Times Square called Becco which is owned by Lidia Bastianich (from Lidia's Italy on PBS) http://www.becco-nyc.com/ . We had this special that included antipaste and then they come around with three different pasta specials and its unlimited. It was only $22.95 which was pretty good for how stuffed we were when we left. There was a seminole gnocche that was out of this world and then they had a spaghetti with tomato and fresh basil and then another pasta with bacon and cabbage. Of course, I had to try my beloved panna cotta for dessert, but I made a mistake and got a black and white one that completely masked the wonderful smooth taste of the panna cotta. Don't ever do black and white panna cotta!
We walked back around Times Square as we had finished early and then headed over to the theatre.
Something I've always wanted to do in NYC but have always wound up standing in an eternal line which I get sick of and just end up ditching, is to go to Serendipity for a frozen hot choclate. SO, since we had eaten dinner at 4:30, after our show, around 10ish, we trundled down to 60th Street and stood in a 5 minute line to sit at a little table and get frozen hot chocolate headaches. They were okay, but not stupendous as I had always imagined so, this experience was just a chalked-it-up-to-experience experience.

Who knows what adventure we'll hit tomorrow after my meetings and before we leave on an early early plane Friday morning.... Stay tuned...

2 comments:

Tonja said...

Alison, NYC is one of my favorite cities to visit. My cousin used to live there and I took my first pilgrimage there at the tender age of 21 (in 1990). I haven't been back since the WTC fell but I know that I will cry uncontrollably when I do go back and don't see them standing there. My cousin married a girl who lived in Chinatown and if you ever get down there for Dim Sum, they have the 2nd best in America (2nd to San Fran's Chinatown). Hope you two enjoy your Thursday afternoon there! Say hi to Kim for me!

Karl said...

I see that I am the SECOND person to leave a comment. Your blog is getting famous Alison; - readership is up 50%!

Seventh circle of hell. . . you know me too well. Glad you had a good time in the big apple, and look forward to hearing how things are on the home front once you get back there.

Talk soon!