http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-xm6ihZR5Pt4/TasJa8VK3rI/AAAAAAAAB9c/pd8NPuxjq08/s1600/Liberate-your-Art-B

Monday, April 26, 2010

I Need Feedback To Help The Hungarians!


OK - I need some feedback to anyone who might be out there reading this.....

I have a friend in Hungary who is a student in the university in Budapest. She is currently working on a paper and has asked for my input, but I figured, I'd put it out there for anyone who might be able and willing to help.
I, of course, had to add two picts as well -- one is of Flora and I at her university in Budapest. The other pic is of Flora when we visited her family in her hometown of Kalocsa (this is where a lot of the Hungarian Paprika comes from). She's standing next to a traditional dress of the area - the colored lace is the "speciality".

Anyways, here is her request...

I have a question to you, here... :) I chose to write a paper about
"Stereotypes in America" for one of my classes (called American Government), and
I remember you writing a letter to me once about some of those stereotypes, I will look for that email, but that made me think of asking you again, if you could please
please write me something about what you have in mind...

It would help me a lot, if you could write a list of stereotpyes based on your own
experiences, and if you can, please also add as much info as you can under some
of those stereotypes you listed. For example if you can go on and on and on
about the Mid-West or the South, PLEASE do!!! :) I'd love to read it (I love
your style :D) plus it would really be a great help! I will have to be done with
the paper by next week, so as soon as you can do it, please send it to me!

Oh and the stereotypes I'm mainly interested in are
1) race-based
stereotypes (latinos, black people, muslims, etc.) and
2) geographic
stereotypes -- "Are you from California? You're likely to be creative and
open-minded, though not very involved in your community. Mississippi? You may be
friendly but slightly neurotic. New York? You're probably more than a little
neurotic, but intellectually curious and tolerant." ( http://www.apa.org/monitor/2008/12/stereotypes.aspx ) [By the way if you have
any idea how could I get the study from this previous website without being a
member and pay for it, I'd welcome the info:)!! Have you ever read a Monitor
magazine or is it something very "scientific" that no one really reads except
for university professors and sociology students??]
So the point:
please please write me a list of stereotypes in these two categories (racial,
geographic)
PLUS ONE: stereotypes about Americans (that live in
people outside of the US) (like Hungarians say a lot of times that Americans are
loud, nice, creative, friendly, etc.)?

4 comments:

Karl said...

What the heck do I know about racial and geographical stereotypes? I'm just a laid-back left-leaning white guy from the Northwest who recycles paper, glass and plastic, hugs trees, and rides public transportation every day.

Seriously - this is such an open-ended question, I'd have no idea where to begin. Maybe one of your other readers could give some input?

Karl said...

Oh - one more thing. . . Tell your friend Flora that her country's paprika rocks!

Kim said...

Ok, Karl so nailed the Pacific NW where everyone is laid back, generally more liberal in Portland, radically more liberal in Eugene and moderately conservative everywhere else. Except EVERYONE recycles and is a tree lover (either logger or hugger). I miss that place!!! :)

North is very different from South. West is radically different from East. Chicago is the bizarre, yet generally cool mix of all. Now you can fill in the details of what that all means. Good luck!

Flora said...

Thanks Karl and Kim:)! haha
I love reading about these stereotypes.

And Karl, thanks :) I do agree with you as for the paprika... :D