http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-xm6ihZR5Pt4/TasJa8VK3rI/AAAAAAAAB9c/pd8NPuxjq08/s1600/Liberate-your-Art-B

Saturday, October 2, 2010

We Were There Now We're Here!


This was our little Budapest team this morning ... yesterday morning... yesterday afternoon... tonight.... I don't even know when it was, but it was before right now. Everyone asks me how I don't get the all-evil "jetlag" -- thats how I do it! I just never pay attention to what time it is anywhere but right here and now. Take right now for instance, it could be 3 in the morning in Chicago, but I wouldn't know it because, as of today, October 1st - I'm a Hungarian and its 8:04 p.m.!



We are all so extremely thankful for all of the wonerful people who showed up to "pray us off".


After we dropped Mark and Jayne off at the American terminal (thanks mom for driving!), we swung back around and dropped me off with the rest of my bags.
Mark and Jayne flew American through London while Tammie and I flew United/Lufthansa through Munich, Germany..... We actually even had an hour or so to "kill" and so we grabbed a bite to eat at a cute little German eatery in the airport. It was really tough chosing... as the menu was so tempting with everything from sausages and saukeraut to the above.... You have to love those Germans!
We did end up with a fairly normal "American" type breakfast. It gave us a little more fuel to get back on another plane to finish out final 50 minute flight to Budapest.

This is the funny story... serisouly, the whole flight, I had this little thought in my head about my bags. I kept on thinking how, with all my destinations and places of years of travel - I have never lost a bag - and that just didn't seem right. Not that I was expecting to lose a bag, but somehow, there was something in my gut. Sure enough, we got in to Budapest and all of my bags and Tammie's bags started pouring out the baggage claim - first in line. However -- Big Blue -- it was MIA! I can't believe - I finally lost a bag! At least it was anything truly important in there. The process of filing for the lost bag was ETERNAL! I had to go from this person to that and get stamps and triplicate copies of these forms and was continually reassured with - it will be there in 2 days - no problem. I guess we'll see! All I know is that if Big Blue gets to go to some amazing place like New Zealand or Bora Bora -- I will be so so jealous!
On a serious note, please pray that I do get Big Blue back soon and in one piece as there is one very important item in there that I forgot to take out and its a more expensive item for one of the staff members (Beth if you're reading this... I'm SO SO SORRY! I was so busy while I was packing - I just didn't think to take it out!) But - I know if a bunch of people pray that it will be ok! :)
Our cab driver was nice enough to stop and let us get some Forint on the way to the hotel.
Welcome to our home for the week - Hotel Classic!
We did a little unpacking and then took a little walk through some of the hills of Buda. Mark needed to go to a grocery store so he could fanatically scour the shelves for his lifeblood - Mountain Dew (FYI - was told that we would be able to find it now problem -- problem... don't know if Mark will survive now...)
Tammie scoured around for a washcloth/flannel/facecloth -- whatever language you speak... found a sponge... made do....

Mark and Jayne go shopping for some traditional Hungarian garb...

This is a cafe that I stop at every year... I had to take them here for a coffee and cake -- Dobra cake is their speciality and its named after Joszef Dobra (FYI - if you're speaking Hungarian - Hungarians put their last name first and their first last so it would actually be Dobra Joszef). Tammie got the Apple Strudel as we're in the land of strudel. I got the Sacher Torte which is a cake that is named after a famous Austrian Hotel in Vienna - its like a chocolate torte with this layer of apricot - its actually extremely good.
Walking back to the hotel, we came across a house where a man was out tending to all these massive fruit trees. Jayne and Mark were extremely curious about one particular fruit he was picking and so they had to go up and ask about it. It was a special Hungarian apple that is really sour and they usually only use it to make marmalade. He was nice enough to give them a few apples - as all Hungarians are actually very nice - true story!

Please pray as tomorrow we have a semi day of rest. Jodi is picking us all up for church at 9:45 and then after church she's taking us to lunch at a Hungarian place. We have the afternoon free and then we do some basic training tomorrow night at 7 pm.
There are actually only 20 coming this year as one previous worker had to back out. There were only about 9 that came in today and the rest are coming in later tomorrow so pray that we all have time to catch up and be ready to go Monday afternoon! This week will be exciting and full and I can't wait to share it all with you as it enfolds!
Please continue to pray that Ildi will come at the weekend!
Thank you all for your prayers and your well-wishes and reminders that you're praying for us!

2 comments:

Keri Sheckler said...

Praying for you guys and that BIG BLUE arrives!

mrs. davis said...

You all look so BEAUTIFUL! Shine Jesus Shine through our dear ones safely in Hungary!!! Blessings & hugs :)